Thursday, June 19, 2014

Quick Meals Upon Landing: Avocado Toast


I guess toast is a thing now.  I was unsure when I heard the artisanal toast piece on This American Life, chagrined when I fell for The Kitchn's April Fools toast joke, and decidedly curious when I saw that The Queen and Beaver in Toronto had an entire menu section devoted to toast.  We selected the Aged Cheddar and Smoked Tomatoes toast, just FYI.

Before I left this week, I put a hard baguette and a hard avocado in the fridge.  When I came home, I had a hard baguette and a perfectly ripe avocado.  The only solution - avocado toast.  Seems silly to post a recipe when the ingredient list is so short, but it was too good not to capture for posterity.

Avocado Toast

1 baguette, sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil, plus drizzle
1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
1 lemon, juiced
Sea salt, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste

Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet.  Lay baguette slices flat in skillet until toasted.  Before flipping, quickly drizzle olive oil over untoasted side, then flip and toast evenly.  Remove from heat and allow toast to cool on wire rack.

Meanwhile, cut criss-cross pattern in avocado and squeeze over bowl to release pieces.  Carefully place avocado on toast, drizzle lemon juice evenly over, and add sea salt and red pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment