Saturday, April 26, 2014

Delicious Destination: New Orleans, LA


It's the first weekend of Jazz Fest, my sister's favorite holiday of the year. Neither of us are there this year.  I can hardly believe it!  To make up for it, I thought I would put together a post of my favorite NOLA treats to take me back.
First up above is Hansen's Sno-Bliz.  The same Jazz Fest-loving sister introduced me to this spring- and summer-only snowcone shop, open since the 30's, and home to a unique and proprietary ice shaving machine.  They make their own flavors every day and still use the same special machine.  There is even a flavor called Sarah's Own Ginger-Cayenne!  This place is meant for me.  


My Grandpappy's favorite first stop in New Orleans was always Harbor Seafood, and luckily, it is conveniently located near the airport.  I love digging into the fresh oysters and peel-and-eat shrimp while I'm waiting for the rest of the party to arrive.  


The best and only poboy for me is Domilise's.  The rest are just substitutes for the real thing.  I go seafood combo (shrimp and oyster) dressed (with lettuce, tomato, and mayo) every time.  The only real question is whether I'll enjoy it with a root beer or a draft High Life.  When it's busy, you can call ahead and place your order to skip the line, but I like to spend the wait scanning the Manning memorabilia and family photos, and hoping that owner Dot will be there for a photo.  


I don't have a go-to gumbo stop in New Orleans.  I might be on a lifelong quest to find one.  The photo above is from Stanley in the quarter, which produces a perfectly respectable gumbo.  But it's not "the one."  I've also enjoyed Herbsaint and Commander's Palace gumbo.  


The only thing better than fresh raw oysters is fresh charbroiled ones.  That grammar isn't great, but you get the idea.  The best charbroiled oysters are at Drago's in the CBD.  We have adapted our own recipe for Thanksgiving purposes.

Drago's Style Charbroiled Oysters

Sauce:
1 stick Unsalted Butter, very soft
1 pinch Kosher Salt 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1 tbsp. garlic, minced 4 tbsp. pecorino romano 1 pinch cayenne
1 tsp. Italian parsley, minced
Pecorino Romano to finish

Minced Italian Parsley for garnish
One lemon
Fresh Bread


Whisk together all ingredients and reserve.  

Oysters:

1 dozen large freshly shucked Gulf oysters
Top oysters with 1 tbsp of sauce. Heat a charcoal or gas grill until very, very hot. Place the oysters on the hottest spot on the grill and let them cook in their own juices for a few minutes, just until they start to bubble and the edges curl.

Serve immediately. 


Last but not least, Elizabeth's brunch.  I cannot go to New Orleans without stopping by Elizabeth's for brunch.  After the family-sized portion of eggs florentine with twelve fried oysters, creamed spinach, poached eggs, Hollandaise sauce over potatoes, I always need a nap.  The Ghetto Fabulous Mimosa (giant mimosa in a plastic cup) and Morning Margaritas (margarita with a splash of OJ) might contribute to the nap-needing as well.

I'm not sure if this helped or hurt me get over not being at Jazz Fest for the weekend, but it certainly gets me excited for my next trip to the Crescent City.  

No comments:

Post a Comment