Friday, July 11, 2014

Delicious Drinks: Sunny Day Summer Sangria


Summer is a thirsty time.  And I have been on a summer drinks kick.  I didn't drink a lot of sangria when I lived in Spain, but I certainly have made up for that since I've been home.  I actually think the Houston climate is much better suited for sangria than Barcelona for most of the year.  Perhaps I'll start a campaign.  First step, share the perfect recipe.

What I did learn in Spain is that if wine is the only alcohol in your recipe, then you are making tinto verano.  The addition of sweetener and liquor is what makes it true sangria.  And of course, if you mix Coke with red wine, you have calimocho.  Which I wouldn't recommend as a first drink of the day.  More like the seventh.  Anyhow, I love this basic sangria made with citrus flavors.

Summer Sangria

2 bottles chilled dry red wine, I prefer Rioja
1 c. brandy
1 c. Cointreau or Grand Marnier (aka granma, in Charleston)
1/4 c. superfine granulated sugar (DIY by placing sugar in food processor or blender and pulsing)
2 oranges, cut into thin rounds
2 lemons, cut into thin rounds (Meyer is lovely, if you have them)
3 limes, cut into thin rounds

2 c. cold club soda
Additional fresh citrus for garnishing


In a large pitcher or beverage dispenser, combine the wine, brandy, orange juice, and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the orange, lemon, and lime slices, the apples and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 24. Remove from the refrigerator and add the soda. Serve in glasses over ice, garnishing with fresh citrus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment