Friday, July 11, 2014

Delicious Drinks: Michelada From Scratch


Micheladas and I have been on and off for a while.  Here is the thing about miches.  I have to make them at home.  If I order them out, I am almost always disappointed.  I like them so spicy they burn, so salty they satisfy, so citrusy they pucker, and so cold they quench.  I want them in a big glass (or better yet, Tervis tumbler) over ice, garnished with extra lime just in case.  And a couple of weeks ago in Austin, I got the perfect one.  My friend Denise made me the perfect michelada with her homemade mix, and I have been chasing that taste ever since.

Homemade Michelada, courtesy of Denise and Texas Monthly

To a chilled glass rimmed with lime juice and salt, add:

2 or more teaspoons of bottled hot sauce, like Valentina or Cholula 
Juice of 2 Mexican limes 
Generous dash of Worcestershire 
Generous dash of Maggi Seasoning 
Pinch of salt and seasonings (kosher, celery, seasoned with ground chiles—whatever sounds good) 
Freshly ground pepper to taste


Mix together and add ice. Slowly pour in beer (Texas Monthly recommends Negra Modelo, Pacífico, or Bohemia, while I prefer the lighter Modelo Especial, Tecate, or dare I say it, Miller Lite or Lone Star) until the glass is full, and stir gently. Garnish with a lime wedge or wheel and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment