Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Quick Meals Upon Landing: Asparagus and Mushroom Tart


I'm flying home on Wednesday this week (very exciting!!) and based on my mental audit of my fridge's contents, I'm planning to recreate these Asparagus and Mushroom Tarts for dinner.  I made them for an Easter appetizer previously, and they are delicious and easy.  The only potential hold up is the puffed pastry being in the freezer, rather than the fridge.  I found some posts on how to quickly defrost puff pastry, but their definition of "quickly" might be different from mine.  I think if I can get the pastry unfolded in thirty minutes, I'll be good to go.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Asparagus and Mushroom Tarts

Serves 8 as Easter appetizers, 4 for a meal

1 package puffed pastry
1/4 c. salted butter (equates to 1/2 stick)
12 oz. oyster mushrooms
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed*, cut into 2 in. pieces
1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 c. cream fraiche (can substitute cream and sour cream or Greek yogurt in a pinch)
1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
Fresh thyme for garnish

Roll pastry into two 10 inch squares.  Cut each sheet into quarters.  Use a paring knife to score the edge of each quarter by slicing cuts into the edge (do not cut through).  Arrange pastry on baking sheets and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Add mushrooms and brown, seasoning with salt and pepper and stirring sparingly until browned. Transfer browned mushrooms to large bowl and cool. Add asparagus, thyme, zest, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper.  Mix in cream fraiche and cheese.

Mound filling atop pastry squares, leaving 1/2 in. border around edges.  Bake tarts 12 minutes, check for evenness and rotate if necessary.  Continue to bake until tarts are brown and puffed, about 10 minutes longer.  Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment