Saturday, April 26, 2014

Home Detox: Kale and Herb Salad


Flying is dehydrating.  Flying and drinking is double-dehydrating.  And don't get me started about eating airplane food while flying and drinking.  I think you know.  After traveling late on Thursday night, all I wanted for lunch on Friday was a giant glass of water and some fresh vegetables, and the last thing I wanted was to go to the store.  I headed out into the backyard with some scissors, grabbed what was growing in my garden box, mixed it with a few things I had in the fridge, and voila!  Friday detox lunch.


Please ignore the craziness of these garden boxes.  I've been traveling!  These are strong and independent plants that have to make it on their own.

Garden Fresh Kale and Dill Salad with Homemade Dressing

Serves one detoxing home worker with leftover dressing for next week

1 bunch baby kale
1 handful fresh herbs, in this case dill, cilantro, and Italian parsley
1/4 c. goat cheese
1/4 c. walnuts

Homemade Dressing

1/4 c. herb olive oil (I adore Texas Olive Ranch's herb-infused oils)
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
Juice of one large lemon
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Toast walnuts in hot dry skillet until browned and fragrant.  Clean and trim greens and herbs, dry in salad spinner.  Shake all dressing ingredients in mason jar.  Serve greens in large bowl, top with cheese and walnuts, and dress as desired.

Leftover dressing can be saved in the fridge in mason jar for two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I thought kale was something I would only eat if I had no other choice until I tried this salad. I like using an old mustard jar for my dressing shaker. It's a good way to use that last little bit of mustard, repurpose and it doesn't take up much room in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete