Saturday, July 26, 2014

Cooking Therapy: Homemade Stocks


Sometimes I feel like cooking, but I don't feel like eating.  Or I feel like cooking, but I have already cooked for eating.  Does that make sense?  I think I just need cooking therapy, which is how I zone out and decompress, and make my mind go quiet and just think about whatever I am doing right at that very moment.  My mom makes jewelry for the same reason.  So when I feel like that, making homemade stocks is just the cooking therapy I need.
Homemade Vegetable Stock


2 c. yellow onion, diced
2 c. leeks, both green and white parts, well rinsed and diced
1 c. carrots, sliced
1 c. celery, sliced
4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 gallon water
8 sprigs fresh thyme
8 parsley stems
4 basil stems
2 bay leaves
2 cups white wine

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large roasting pan, spread the onions, leeks, carrots, celery, tomatoes and garlic cloves. Drizzle with the olive oil, and season with the salt and pepper, stirring to coat. Roast for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to brown evenly.

Remove from the oven and transfer to your largest pot. Add the water and herbs, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, skimming to remove any foam that rises to the surface. Add the wine and cook for 30 minutes more.


Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth if you have it. Use immediately, cool in an ice bath, then refrigerate in an airtight container (preferably glass) for up to five days or freeze for up to four months.

No comments:

Post a Comment