Friday, July 25, 2014

Quick Meals Upon Landing: Green Garden Gazpacho


Tonight is one of those perfect stay-at-home nights.  I have no plans.  I have a clean house.  I had houseguests last weekend, traveled all week, will leave again Monday, and be out of town next weekend.  I have a bursting DVR.  I have a cute dog.  And I have a fridge full of random odds and ends that I was sure would add up to something.  I pulled out Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty cookbook for inspiration, and sure enough, it looks like I have everything for my very own adaptation of Green Garden Gazpacho, inspired by Ottolenghi's Green Gazpacho.


Green Garden Gazpacho
1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
3 slices stale ciabatta 
1 fresh green serrano pepper
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3 green onions, light and dark green parts only
1 tsp. sugar
1/3 c. pecans, lightly toasted
2 handfuls arugula
1 bunch basil leaves
1 bunch oregano leaves
2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. Greek yogurt
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. ice cubes
2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Easy Croutons
3 slices ciabatta bread 

4 tbsp. olive oil
Pinch of salt

Roughly chop the cucumber, bread, pepper, garlic, and green onions.  Add them to a blender with sugar, pecans, greens, herbs, vinegar, oil, and water and blend thoroughly.  Add yogurt, ice, and seasonings to taste.  If soup is too thick to blend well, add additional water.

For the croutons, heat olive oil in medium nonstick saucepan.  Add bread and saute until browned. Flip and brown, then serve immediately in cold soup with herbs or greens and a drizzle of olive oil to garnish.  Leftovers will keep for one day, but croutons should be remade for each serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment